Good morning, Ridgefield! Today is Wednesday, April 25, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
TODAY AT THE RIDGEFIELD PLAYHOUSE
- Dr. Seuss's The Lorax, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.: A 12-year-old boy searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world. Rated PG.
- Public Hearing/Town Meeting: Town Hall, 7:30 p.m.
- Board of Selectmen: Town Hall, immediately after
FORECAST as of 4 p.m. Tuesday:
- Today: Scattered showers, mainly between noon and 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. West wind between 9 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 38. North wind between 3 and 6 mph.
THIS DATE IN HISTORY (from wikipedia.org)
- 1792 – Highwayman Nicolas J. Pelletier becomes the first person executed by guillotine.
- 1847 – The last survivors of the Donner Party are out of the wilderness.
- 1901 – New York becomes the first U.S. state to require automobilelicense plates.
- 1939 – DC Comics publishes its second major superhero in Detective Comics #27; he is Batman, one of the most popular comic book superheroes of all time.
- 1960 – The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton completes the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.
- 1983 – American schoolgirl Samantha Smith is invited to visit the Soviet Union by its leader Yuri Andropov after he read her letter in which she expressed fears about nuclear war.
- 2003 – The Human Genome Project comes to an end two and a half years earlier than expected.
- 2011 – At least 300 people killed in deadliest tornado outbreak in the Southern United States since the 1974 Super Outbreak.
- Notable birthdays: 1214 – King Louis IX of France, also known as Saint Louis (d. 1270); 1908 – Edward R. Murrow, American journalist (d. 1965); 1917 – Ella Fitzgerald, American singer (d. 1996); 1940 – Al Pacino, American actor; 1969 – Renée Zellweger, American actress; 1976 – Tim Duncan, American basketball player.
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Ridgefield Patch’s “Commute” page.
- Danbury WB E/O Exit 6 - Rockwell Rd.
- Danbury WB Exit 6 - Rt. 37 (North St.)
- Danbury EB Exit 5 - Starr Ave.
- Danbury EB Exit 4 - Lake Ave.
- Danbury I-84 EB Exit 2 - Milestone Rd.
- Norwalk SB Exit 15 - Stuart Ave.
- Norwalk Rt 7 S/O Exit 1 - Connecticut Ave.
- Norwalk NB Exit 15 - Rt. 7
- Norwalk SB Exit 16 - East Ave.
- Norwalk NB S/O Exit 16 - S/O Saugatuck Ave.
- Stamford SB Exit 8 - Elm St.
- Stamford NB S/O Exit 9 - Lockwood Ave.
- Darien SB N/O Exit 9 - Darien Service Plaza
- Darien NB Exit 12 - Tokeneke Rd.
- Darien NB S/O Exit 13 - Darien Service Plaza
- Darien SB Exit 13 - Rt. 1 (Boston Post Rd.)
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 2:24 a.m.
- Sunrise: 5:59 a.m.
- Low tide: 8:57 a.m.
- High tide: 3:01 p.m.
- Sunset: 7:45 p.m.
- Low tide: 9:06 p.m.
- Moon visibility: 10 percent