Good morning, Ridgefield! Today is Monday, April 23, 2012.
- Recovery Still Eludes Real Estate Market In Fairfield County
- Readers' Choice: Buying Plants and Flowers In Ridgefield
- Ridgefield SportsBeat: Top-10 NHL Players
- Hollywood Couple Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Pass on Ridgefield
- Ridgefield Eye on the Beltway: Syria Conflict Simmers in Washington
EVENTS & REMINDERS
TODAY AT THE RIDGEFIELD PLAYHOUSE
- Dr. Seuss's The Lorax, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.: A 12-year-old boy searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world. Rated PG.
- Board of Education: Annex, 7:30 p.m.
- Conservation Commission: Annex, 7:30 p.m.
- Library Board of Directors: Library, 7:30 p.m.
- Pension Commission: Town Hall, 8 p.m.
- Zoning Board of Appeals: Annex, 7:30 p.m.
FORECAST as of 4 p.m. Wednesday:
- Monday: Rain likely, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Southeast wind between 11 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Monday Night: A chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. South wind between 11 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
THIS DATE IN HISTORY (from wikipedia.org)
- 1635 – The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1910 – Theodore Roosevelt made his The Man in the Arena speech.
- 1940 – The Rhythm Night Club fire at a dance hall in Natchez, Mississippi, kills 198 people.
- 1951 – American journalist William N. Oatis is arrested for espionage by the Communist government of Czechoslovakia.
- 1968 – Vietnam War: Student protesters at Columbia University in New York City take over administration buildings and shut down the university.
- Notable birthdays: 1621 – William Penn, English admiral (d. 1670); 1791 – James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States (d. 1868); 1813 – Stephen A. Douglas, U.S. Senator from Illinois and Presidential candidate (d. 1861); 1928 – Shirley Temple, American actress and politician; 1954 – Michael Moore, American filmmaker; 1961 – George Lopez, American actor and comedian; 1968 – Timothy McVeigh, American terrorist (d. 2001); 1977 – Kal Penn, American actor; 1977 – John Oliver, British comedian.
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Ridgefield Patch’s “Commute” page.
- Danbury WB E/O Exit 6 - Rockwell Rd.
- Danbury WB Exit 6 - Rt. 37 (North St.)
- Danbury EB Exit 5 - Starr Ave.
- Danbury EB Exit 4 - Lake Ave.
- Danbury I-84 EB Exit 2 - Milestone Rd.
- Norwalk SB Exit 15 - Stuart Ave.
- Norwalk Rt 7 S/O Exit 1 - Connecticut Ave.
- Norwalk NB Exit 15 - Rt. 7
- Norwalk SB Exit 16 - East Ave.
- Norwalk NB S/O Exit 16 - S/O Saugatuck Ave.
- Stamford SB Exit 8 - Elm St.
- Stamford NB S/O Exit 9 - Lockwood Ave.
- Darien SB N/O Exit 9 - Darien Service Plaza
- Darien NB Exit 12 - Tokeneke Rd.
- Darien NB S/O Exit 13 - Darien Service Plaza
- Darien SB Exit 13 - Rt. 1 (Boston Post Rd.)
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 1:09 a.m.
- Sunrise: 6:02 a.m.
- Low tide: 7:41 a.m.
- Low tide: 1:42 p.m.
- Sunset: 7:43 p.m.
- Low tide: 7:45 p.m.
- Moon visibility: 2 percent