Good morning, Ridgefield! Today is Friday, May 4, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
TODAY AT THE RIDGEFIELD PLAYHOUSE
- The Hunger Games: 4 p.m., 7 p.m. -- Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match. Rated PG.
- Parking Authority Meeting: 8 a.m., Town Hall
FORECAST as of 4 p.m. Thursday:
- Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. Southwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Friday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. North wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
THIS DATE IN HISTORY (from wikipedia.org)
- Today is considered Star Wars Day by some. Why? Well, May the Fourth be with you!
- 1776 – Rhode Island becomes the first American colony to renounce allegiance to King George III.
- 1814 – Emperor Napoleon I of France arrives at Portoferraio on the island of Elba to begin his exile.
- 1904 – The United States begins construction of the Panama Canal.
- 1953 – Ernest Hemingway wins the Pulitzer Prize for The Old Man and the Sea.
- 1959 – The 1st Grammy Awards are held.
- 1972 – The Don't Make A Wave Committee, a fledgling environmental organization founded in Canada in 1971, officially changes its name to "Greenpeace Foundation".
- 1998 – A federal judge in Sacramento, California, gives "Unabomber" Theodore Kaczynski four life sentences plus 30 years after Kaczynski accepts a plea agreement sparing him from the death penalty.
INTERSTATE TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Ridgefield Patch’s “Commute” page.
- Danbury WB E/O Exit 6 - Rockwell Rd.
- Danbury WB Exit 6 - Rt. 37 (North St.)
- Danbury EB Exit 5 - Starr Ave.
- Danbury EB Exit 4 - Lake Ave.
- Danbury I-84 EB Exit 2 - Milestone Rd.
- Norwalk SB Exit 15 - Stuart Ave.
- Norwalk Rt 7 S/O Exit 1 - Connecticut Ave.
- Norwalk NB Exit 15 - Rt. 7
- Norwalk SB Exit 16 - East Ave.
- Norwalk NB S/O Exit 16 - S/O Saugatuck Ave.
- Stamford SB Exit 8 - Elm St.
- Stamford NB S/O Exit 9 - Lockwood Ave.
- Darien SB N/O Exit 9 - Darien Service Plaza
- Darien NB Exit 12 - Tokeneke Rd.
- Darien NB S/O Exit 13 - Darien Service Plaza
- Darien SB Exit 13 - Rt. 1 (Boston Post Rd.)
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 4:30 a.m.
- Sunrise: 5:47 a.m.
- High tide: 10:28 a.m.
- Low tide: 4:42 p.m.
- Sunset: 7:54 p.m.
- High tide: 10:46 p.m.
- Moon visibility: 92 percent