The Bark Park may be closed for up to six months after a dog, who visited the park with its owner, was tested positive for Parvovirus, a highly contagious disease that can seriously affect puppies.
“The park could be closed from two days to six months,” said Ridgefield Animal Control Officer David Coles. “The fire department has to hose down the entire area and then apply a breach spray.”
After Georgetown Veterinary Hospital diagnosed the dog with parvovirus the park was shut down since last Tuesday under advisements from the Ridgefield Health Department and Quarry Ridge Animal Hospital.
Parvovirus is transferred via contact with infected feces. The virus appears can be particularly virulent to unvaccinated puppies, while adult dogs, which have been through vaccinations, are likelier to have mild symptoms. Symptoms include vomiting, severe (possibly bloody) diarrhea, dehydration and fever. Since the virus is extremely contagious and can exist in the right conditions “for months to years,” bleaching suspected areas is recommended, according to Sheltermedicine.com. Although rare, extreme cases of parvovirus in puppies can shut down cardiovascular function and result in death.
The Ridgefield Dog Warden is recommending that any dog who was in the park last week to be checked by a veterinarian.
The strain of parvovirus that infects canines does not affect humans.
More information about parvovirus can be found at the URLs linked below:
Interested in Ridgefield’s news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Ridgefield Patch daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.